Monday, January 9, 2012

You're beautiful.

It's really weird to hear that.

"You're beautiful."

I always have the urge to look over my shoulder and see if someone who's actually beautiful is standing behind me.

Sure, I heard it a lot growing up. My parents never ever skimped on the self-esteem boosting verbiage... I was told how beautiful I was and how proud they were of me very consistently, and very sincerely.

But still. When I hear "You're beautiful." something in me breaks just a little bit. It's a good breaking, though. It's like a part of me that's denied that fact for so many years is gradually being chipped away by four syllables. At 38 years old, I'm finally coming to realize that yes. I am beautiful.

I've decided to try and make other people feel that little bit of breakage more often. I see people who just look mired in whatever crap they have in their life, and I sometimes want to just give them a hug and say "You're beautiful." Instead of risking a punch in the face or being maced, I usually opt for a smile or a brief, friendly conversation... but maybe they're hearing the right four syllables on some level.

No comments:

Post a Comment